Saturday, May 17, 2008

My favorite paragraph of Anagrams (so far!)

"So I comforted myself with Gerard's faults: He was infantile; he was always losing his keys; he was from Nebraska, like some horrible talk show host; he had grown up not far from one of the oldest service plazas on the I-80; he told jokes that had the words wiener and fart in them; he once referred to sex as "hiding the salami." He also had a habit of charging after small animals and frightening them. Actually, the first he did this it was with a bird in the park, and I laughed, thinking it hilarious. Later, I realized it was weird: Gerard was thirty-one and charging after small mammals, sending them leaping into bushes, up trees, over furniture. He would then turn and grin, like a charmed maniac, a Puck with a Master's degree. He liked also to water down the face and neck fur of cats and gods, saying it make them look like Judy Garland. I realized that life was too short for anyone to honestly and thoroughly outgrow anything, but it was clear that some people were making more of an effort than others."

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very insightful and entertaining book. Please let us know when you finish it if it's worth reading.

    ReplyDelete