Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My name is Jessica, and I'm a diet coke-aholic.

So, I've never been someone who sees myself as addicted to caffeine. I don't need coffee in the morning; if I stop at Starbucks it's because it sounds delicious, not because I'm tired. But, I have realized my daily Diet Coke at lunch has become a dependency. I know this because I did not have it for the past two days, and I am about to put my head down on my desk and fall asleep. Which, I believe, is frowned upon when the kids are here. (So is blogging, I'm sure, but they are all on their own laptops working on test prep, so I just have to take a lap every few minutes to check on them.)

Anyway, since I have apparently developed a dependency to caffeine, I am going to avoid it for the next month or so. :( Which will be very difficult, as there is nothing quite like a cold Diet Coke to prepare me for my fourth period class. It's like the legal equivalent of a stiff drink.

I might need to go to a meeting.

3 comments:

  1. You should've seen me when I arrived at church and found they were painting and had blocked off the Coke machine. It was honest to goodness panic. Sadly, just any Coke isn't good enough...it has to be chilled to the proper temperature, which is somewhat colder than the average fridge. The one part I don't get from you is the diet part. There's nothing in Diet Coke. Try something with some sugar! That'll get you going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to disagree with ms. polly...there is nothing in the world like a diet coke. i didn't have one today jess...and my taste buds are crying out for one! i don't know if it's caffeine or just the great taste of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am conflicted about caffeine... I think I would be a better person if I was addicted to caffeine (more motivated, active, focused, etc) but the idea of needing it turns me off. Good thing I don't like soda. Or coffee.

    Maybe you can borrow some Ritalin from the kids in your class while you're kicking the Diet Coke habit.

    ReplyDelete