Sunday, October 4, 2009

Adventures in Cheesecake

Last night I went out with friends to The Cheesecake Factory to celebrate my friend Shelley's birthday. Before we sat down we took a peak at the cheesecake display case to help us decide which one(s) we were going to order.  We were on the lookout for the new red velvet cake cheesecake, with cream cheese frosting and white chocolate shavings.



As we were drooling, I noticed that all the cheesecakes had placards with the number of calories per slice. Now, I am no fool. I do not delude myself that this piece of cheesecake is healthy or low in calories. But when I saw that one slice had 1,550 calories I was shocked! I quickly scanned through the rest of them and found that the one I usually order (lemon rasberry cream) has "only" 794 calories per slice.

I did a little research and found out th law at there is a new saying chain restaurants in California will have to display the number of calories in their food (because why would The Cheesecake Factory voluntarily reveal that info?). It is the first such law in the nation.  I think it's a good idea-I am more likely to order the healthier option if I know what I'm getting myself into. And maybe having to display that information will push restaurants to come up with ways to lower the caloric value of their food. So yes, I am in favor of this new law to combat obesity in America.

BUT-when I go the Cheesecake Factory, I am prepared to indulge. I know that eating a slice of cheesecake after a large meal isn't the healthiest option. That's why I don't do it everyday. So part of me (a small part of me, albeit) resents them shoving the information in my face. They are killing my sugar buzz, if you will.

Because, shocked as I was, we still ordered the red velvet cheesecake as one of the three pieces the group of us shared. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment