Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back-to-school shopping

Well, I am back to work next week. And, I have once again made my resolution to dress more professionally this year. You know, jeans only on Fridays, but still dressed up. Don't wear flip-flops. The usual. I think I did a better job overall last year than in the two years prior. And right now, I am very gung-ho to dress well at work. It is because I haven't worn my "work clothes" in three months, so I am excited about them right now-and totally ready for my fall wardrobe as well. But then come January, when I've worn every sweater and every pair of slacks 8 million times...

Being a teacher is strange, because it's not an office job-you need to be able to move around, be on your feet all day, and be around dirty, sweaty kids. But, you are also expected to dress somewhat professionally. I've heard two main theories on this:

1. Teachers want to be respected as professionals, just like any other dignified job, but then they don't dress the part. They show up in jeans and t-shirts and wonder why they're not taken seriously.
2. Teaching is a tough job with not too many perks-the fact that you can get away with more casual dress is a perk, so take advantage of it.

I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I don't wear t-shirts and try to look nice on the days I do wear jeans. But, I have been known to throw on my converse and a Carnegie Drill Team sweatshirt every couple of months. But, I always admire the female teachers who dress professionally everyday. In the same way I admire people who blow-dry their hair everyday: I'd like to be like them, but it's probably not going to happen.

2 comments:

  1. SO I bought some comfy and cool (since I have no a/c in my 100 degree room) clothes for work. They are professional and I got the best shoes ever...CROCS...I will forever praise them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you will look pro. at work. =)

    ReplyDelete